Sunday, September 19, 2010

Kudos to Springfield and Fr. Dan Martins

Traveling interrupts not only blogging, but the flow of news. Today I finally caught up with the results of the election on Saturday in the Diocese of Springfield. I can truly say that Springfield was blessed in its choices before the election, and is now blessed in its selection of Father Dan Martins to be its next bishop. Although I have met Father Dan only once, I have followed his blogging since before I began this blog, and feel as though I know him quite well. Moreover, I am in frequent contact with those who knew him well in the Diocese of San Joaquin, and they are uniformly happy for him.

Friends tell me that even the HoB/D listserv was circulating congratulations for Fr. Martins -- who, as a member of the House of Deputies, has been a frequent contributor. Indeed, there are few candidates for the episcopacy whose record is as open as is that of Father Martins, and that also speaks well of those who elected him. I trust that his confirmation by the standing committees and diocesan bishops, once the election is certified and the countdown starts, will proceed as expeditiously as did the election itself. Indeed, how smoothly it proceeds may well be one barometer (but only one, alas) of the Church's spiritual health over the coming months.

Congratulations to Father Dan and to the parishioners and clergy of the Diocese of Springfield!



No comments:

Post a Comment